Tuesday, February 21, 2012

20 minutes in and grocery shopping

Well it's past 12AM on the day I plan to start eating vegan, so I guess I'm officially in now. I still have no idea what I'm going to eat for breakfast so the morning should be entertaining. I guess just some fruit? Unfortunately I finished the last of my banana bread today, which is typically something I'd go for at breakfast.

Anyway, I went grocery shopping again today at Whole Foods and spent $70 on three bags of vegan foods. What can I actually eat you ask? Well a few of the items include:

Quinoa/rice/couscous
Nutritional yeast (look it up - helps create a cheesy flavor apparently)
Flaxmilk
Coconut flavored coconut ice cream
coconut yogurt
Tofu (I want to try it and test out my soy allergy)
Chickpeas
Pizza crust/tomato sauce
And Peanut Butter Panda Puffs cereal (I can't make this up)

Now that I'm $70 poorer and still shoving dairy/egg based food down my roommates' throats hopefully I can find something to actually eat out of all this mess. I'm going to go back to Falls this Saturday and give my family the rest of whatever I can't eat and steal some spices from them so I can figure out how to make vegan indian food. I talked to my mom today and tried to explain more about what I can and can't eat and she remarked how difficult it sounds. But when I really look at it, I don't think it will be so bad. I just need to get creative in my cooking to make enough food that will keep me full and will contain all the nutrients I need. And from everything I've read it sounds like I will be feeling physically better in a week and maybe even shed a few pounds and get some energy which sounds like heaven :)

I was also hoping to buy some pine nuts but there were $30 per pound (?!!??!!) but thankfully my roommate gave me her box so now I can make some spinach pesto! :)

Tomorrow night for dinner (well really tonight I guess) I'm hoping to make vegan mac n' cheese - found a great looking recipe that uses that nutritional yeast stuff. Hopefully it tastes good or I'll have to stick to eating my vegan-version of instant soup in a cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment