Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Vegan dairy

This morning I woke up with a slight headache and just feeling icky all over so I skipped my three classes. In my downtime I decided to test out the three vegan milks I have on me: soy milk (one small carton from my roommate), my usual coconut milk, and flax milk. I have to say, the soy milk was sooooo good! It was creamy and sweet and everything a fake milk should be. I drank the whole thing (again, just one small carton). And then my throat started itching and felt dry and a little while later my stomach felt gross... I felt fine after some time and am almost thinking to just suffer through the allergy because it tastes so good but idk. And then I drank a few sips of coconut milk, and it has just the most bland, empty texture... very watery. It's like going from 2% to skim milk. And the flax milk had a great texture but I'm questioning the taste.

Sigh. So I'm thinking I'll just try to stick with the coconut milk and maybe keep giving soy a try. I bought some tofu yesterday so I'd like to try it, too.

Anyway - continuing the fake dairy topic - I found an amazing recipe for vegan butternut squash mac n cheese and have been raring to make it for my first all-vegan day. I waited all day long to come home and put it all together and was so excited to try out my newest ingredient, Nutritional Yeast (I have no idea what it's made of but it's kind of like fake cheese powder? Or tastes like it? idk). Anyway I wanted to double the recipe so I'll have the cheese sauce for later in the week and had to add 12 tbspns of this yellow yeast stuff. So I poured the sauce over the pasta and tried it. It was.... okay.... but just the fact that I knew it was fake cheese and made of something I wasn't familiar with made me want to puke. I got through half my bowl and then just looked at it and dumped it out, along with the rest of the sauce. What a waste. I think I'll have to eat whole foods and not add crap that freaks me out.

I'm ending my night right now with some Coconut flavored Coconut Ice Cream. Super delish! This stuff is really growing on me :) I love chocolate coconut milk so I'm going to buy some chocolate coconut ice cream and see how it works for me. Num!

No comments:

Post a Comment