Sunday, February 19, 2012

Vegan Banana Raspberry-Swirl Cupcakes

I altered this recipe from Isa Chandra's Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World (VCTOW from now on) - originally Banana Split Cupcakes. I forgot to post this recipe - I made this along with the vegan Banana Bread last night. I guess some might call them muffins since they do not have a frosting, but I like the word "cupcakes" better. Here it is!



Vegan Banana Raspberry-Swirl Cupcakes

1/2 cup raspberry jam (with or without the seeds)
1 medium, very ripe banana, mashed well
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
2/3 cup coconut milk (I used Vanilla SoDelicious coconut milk)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon almond extract (I originally put in 1/2 teaspoon as the recipe calls for but I think it's a little too almond-y so I'm putting 1/4 here)

Preheat oven to 350 F. Line muffin pan with paper liners. Stir raspberry jam in a small saucepan over low heat until melted and easily pourable. Set aside (can always microwave a little later if it seems to set again). Sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar in a large bowl and mix. in a separate, smaller bowl, whisk together the oil, coconut milk, vanilla, almond extract, and mashed banana. Create a well in the dry ingredients and fold in the wet ingredients, mixing to just combine - don't over mix (some lumps are okay). Fill the liners two-thirds full. Top the batter of each cupcake with 1 teaspoon melted jam and carefully stir each cupcake two or three times to swirl in the jam. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes till knife inserted into cupcake comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment