Sunday, February 19, 2012

Which vegan cookbook to buy?

Well I spent about an hour at Boswell Books in front of the Vegan Cooking section trying to decide which vegan cookbook to buy. I'm normally indecisive, but this really threw me for a loop as every single book had its pros and cons and things I would and would not eat. My first choice was Veganomicon by Isa Chandra, and while it looked good, I just can't see myself cooking every recipe in that book - plus the $30 price tag was a deal breaker. Looking around some more, none of the other vegan cookbooks seemed particularly appealing to me either. Plus they all contained recipes with tofu, which doesn't work with my soy allergy. So I walked out empty-handed. I think I'll just stick with the internet for now - much more variety, and I don't have to pay for a bunch of recipes I don't want (or do I?). At the end of Lent maybe I will make my own vegan cookbook of all the recipes I'll be posting in this blog. At least then I'll know I like them all! :)

One recipe I'm really looking forward to is Butternut Squash Mac 'n Cheeze http://ohsheglows.com/2011/10/03/butternut-squash-mac-n-cheeze/. It contains nutritional yeast, which apparently is NOT yeast but more of a grainy, cheese-like flavored condiment. I looked all over Sendik's while buying other vegan-friendly items but I could not find it. Would it be weird to order it online?

In the meantime, I will just sit back, do some homework, and sip on my a-little-too-sour freshly squeeze orange juice from Sendik's.

No comments:

Post a Comment